The Cornwall Railway Society Visits North Devon on Saturday 6th June, 2015. A report by Roger Winnen
Fine weather was the forecast as members of the society left Cornwall for Barnstaple on Saturday morning. However on arrival it looked like rain was on its way, but it soon cleared and sunshine prevailed all day. Leaving the station our party headed for the connection around to Barnstaple Victoria Road crossing the five span bridge last used 45 years ago. A visit was then made to Braunton where many items of interest remains, then walking the trackbed to Wrafton, a visit to the former station with kind permission of the owner was made before returning by Stagecoach service 21 to Barnstaple to explore the Barnstaple Town Station. With time on our hands a short visit was made to Bideford before returning home. A most successful day was had by all,
150606a The Cornwall Railway Society Ramble to North Devon covered many parts of a long lost railway which closed 5th October, 1970 This bridge also closed after freight services ceased to use Barnstaple Victoria Road. Passenger services ceased on the closure of the line from Taunton on the 3rd October, 1966. Copyright Roger Winnen
See more on our visit in Inside Pages Features Page
- September Home Page
- INDOOR & OUTDOOR MEETINGS PROGRAMME
- CORNWALL RAILWAY SOCIETY GENERAL INFORMATION< CONTACTS & WEBMASTERS ETC.
- LATEST INPUT , NEWS & OLD PICTURES ETC.
- FEATURES, MAIN INDEX & OUTDOOR EVENTS REPORTS.
- CORNWALL GALLERIES
- DEVON GALLERIES
- North & East of TAUNTON & HONITON
- Military and Industrial Tramways & Light Railways
- Pleasure Tramways & Light Railways
- RAILTOURS, AERIAL VIEWS ,MISCELLANEOUS
- CORNISH RAILWAYS WAR DIARY
- LOCAL YOUTUBE
- Historical Outdoor Events INDEX
- ARTICLES SECTION.
- ENGINEERING PLANT DIARY
- News reports Jan to Aug 2012
- MAPS, PHOTOS, AERIAL VIEWS
- CHRISTOW. E & T. Valley Railway - Articles by Colin Burges LATEST NEWS
- Official Documents available to the General Public