It was reported today that the footbridge conveying pedestrians from platform 3 - the up platform to the Penzance end of platform 2 and the bay platform 1 is to be taken out of use with effect from 23rd April 2012 for a period of five weeks. This will have a considerable adverse effect on passengers to and from the Falmouth branch who want main line connections from up trains. A short walk of perhaps 50 yards will be come, at the worst, a sprint of approx 200 yards.
Reported today that contractors are setting up their facilities in the station car park ready to commence work on improving the stations waiting room facilities. There will be a new waiting room between the ticket office and buffet.
Walkham Viaduct was a magnificent 15-span structure on the Plymouth to Tavistock South railway line. It was demolished about 1964/65 and the site cleared after closure of the line at the end of 1962. A new 5-span steel bridge has recently been constructed on the site of the original viaduct to carry a cycleway. A visit on 2 April 2012 found the finishing touches being done to the bridge.
Last Thursday, 29 March, the Bodmin and Wenford Railway was using its 2-6-2T no. 5552 on its Steam Locomotive Driving and Firing Course; running three return trips from Bodmin General to Bodmin Parkway. Great fun, and the included pasties (presumably now subject to VAT, courtesy of the government) are excellent!
- October Home Page
- INDOOR & OUTDOOR MEETINGS PROGRAMME
- CORNWALL RAILWAY SOCIETY GENERAL INFORMATION CONTACTS & WEBMASTERS MEMBERSHIP FORM ETC.
- LATEST INPUT , NEWS & OLD PICTURES ETC.
- FEATURES, MAIN INDEX & OUTDOOR EVENTS REPORTS.
- CORNWALL GALLERIES
- DEVON GALLERIES
- North & East of TAUNTON & HONITON
- Military and Industrial Tramways & Light Railways
- Pleasure Tramways & Light Railways
- RAILTOURS, AERIAL VIEWS ,MISCELLANEOUS
- CORNISH RAILWAYS WAR DIARY
- LOCAL YOUTUBE
- Historical Outdoor Events INDEX
- ARTICLES SECTION.
- ENGINEERING PLANT DIARY
- News reports Jan to Aug 2012
- MAPS, PHOTOS, AERIAL VIEWS
- CHRISTOW. E & T. Valley Railway - Articles by Colin Burges LATEST NEWS
- Official Documents available to the General Public
- Public notices and posters collection
- Bristol Parkway to Wooton Basset Jct.