It was reported that this morning, 26 October 2011 the down sleeper had come to grief. The sleeper departed Bodmin Parkway at 06.21, had come to a stop when the sleeper's motive power 57605 'Totnes Castle' had struck the 5' trunk of a fallen oak tree. The train was later terminated at Lostwithiel and the stock placed in the loop. Fortunately there were no injuries. 57605 was returned to Laira for repairs to the damage sustained which included the snow ploughs having been bent back. Due to the disruption caused by the fallen oak several down trains were delayed and consequently services out of Penzance were severely affected. The 08.44, 09.40 and 10.46 services from Penzance were cancelled. The 10.00 Penzance - Paddington service was re-timed to depart at 10.30. The sleeper stock was still in the Lostwithiel loop at midday.
However normal service was resumed when 57605 'Totnes Castle', looking slightly battered, was reported as having arrived at Long Rock at 14.30.
- February Home Page
- INDOOR & OUTDOOR MEETINGS PROGRAMME
- CORNWALL RAILWAY SOCIETY GENERAL INFORMATION< CONTACTS & WEBMASTERS ETC.
- LATEST INPUT , NEWS & OLD PICTURES ETC.
- FEATURES, MAIN INDEX & OUTDOOR EVENTS REPORTS.
- CORNWALL GALLERIES
- DEVON GALLERIES
- North & East of TAUNTON & HONITON
- Military and Industrial Tramways & Light Railways
- Pleasure Tramways & Light Railways
- RAILTOURS, AERIAL VIEWS ,MISCELLANEOUS
- CORNISH RAILWAYS WAR DIARY
- LOCAL YOUTUBE
- Historical Outdoor Events INDEX
- ARTICLES SECTION.
- ENGINEERING PLANT DIARY
- News reports Jan to Aug 2012
- MAPS, PHOTOS, AERIAL VIEWS
- CHRISTOW. E & T. Valley Railway - Articles by Colin Burges LATEST NEWS
- Official Documents available to the General Public