Many thanks to Mike Roach who spent last weekend at Reading for taking the time and trouble to bring us this detailed report.
Platform 7 of Reading Station is the platform normally used by trains to Penzance. This platform is about to be rebuilt and Penzance trains will continue to use it throughout the rebuilding. Temporary extensions are to be added at both east and west ends of platform 7 to allow the Penzance trains to stop at different places along the platform. By keeping westbound Penzance trains using Platform 7 rather than transferring them to Platforms 8 or 9 they will not conflict with trains in the eastbound direction from the Newbury line. Work has already commenced.
The Flyover. Work has commenced on the flyover west of Reading Station. This is being built to allow trains approaching Reading from the west on the fast line from Didcot, Bristol and South Wales to rise up over the west curve of the triangle, and avoid conflict with the frequent container trains from Southampton to the midlands, or any train from the Basingstoke direction which is avoiding the station and heading for the slow lines heading towards Didcot. It will also help down trains from Paddington to Bristol and South Wales, but they will face a climb soon after leaving the platform.
Relaying. Part of the line through Platform 7 of Reading Station was relaid on Saturday 14 and Sunday 15 September 2013. The line was brought back into use on the Monday morning. There were more track renewals along the Berks & Hants line over the same weekend. These overan and buses replaced trains between Newbury and Pewsey for part of the morning on 16 September 2013.
- December Home Page
- INDOOR & OUTDOOR MEETINGS PROGRAMME
- CORNWALL RAILWAY SOCIETY GENERAL INFORMATION CONTACTS & WEBMASTERS MEMBERSHIP FORM ETC.
- LATEST INPUT , NEWS & OLD PICTURES ETC.
- FEATURES, MAIN INDEX & OUTDOOR EVENTS REPORTS.
- CORNWALL GALLERIES
- DEVON GALLERIES
- North & East of TAUNTON & HONITON
- Military and Industrial Tramways & Light Railways
- Pleasure Tramways & Light Railways
- RAILTOURS, AERIAL VIEWS ,MISCELLANEOUS
- CORNISH RAILWAYS WAR DIARY
- LOCAL YOUTUBE
- Historical Outdoor Events INDEX
- INDEX TO ARTICLES WRITTEN BY COLIN BURGES
- ARTICLES SECTION.
- ENGINEERING PLANT DIARY
- News reports Jan to Aug 2012
- MAPS, PHOTOS, AERIAL VIEWS
- Official Documents available to the General Public
- Public notices and posters collection
- Bristol Parkway to Wooton Basset Jct.