Roger has just dealt with the extensive preparations for the refurbishment of Hayle viaduct, but, meantime, just around the corner from Hayle viaduct the old swing bridge on the former Hayle Wharves branch is also enjoying refurbishment. Underneath the extensive scaffold supported covering much noise was being generated as engineers used sand blasting equipment to remove many years of paint. Quite what colour it will emerge as we do not know at the moment - we'll post a picture of the completed works in due course. First, however, courtesy of Sid Sponheimer we look at the bridge in happier days when it carried trains, its future use will be to carry pedestrians only.
Class 25 7575 has propelled its train from St Erth down over the incline, across the road and over the swing bridge which can be seen in the background. Nowadays a new road from North Quay passes where the train is in this picture and then crosses Copperhouse Creek to land by the filling station on the opposite bank. In the background can be seen the main line Hayle Viaduct looking much better without the new Superstore in front!! Copyright Sid Sponheimer
Finally a view from the Hayle River side of the bridge. Water flow into and out of Copperhouse Pool is controlled by a 'lock gate' such that, if required, a head of water can be stored at high tide and then used to flush out the channel down the main river once the tide has receded. 27th October 2014 Copyright Kevin Jenkin
- January 21 Home Page
- INDOOR & OUTDOOR MEETINGS PROGRAMME
- CORNWALL RAILWAY SOCIETY GENERAL INFORMATION CONTACTS & WEBMASTERS MEMBERSHIP FORM ETC.
- LATEST INPUT , NEWS & OLD PICTURES ETC.
- FEATURES, MAIN INDEX & OUTDOOR EVENTS REPORTS.
- CORNWALL GALLERIES
- DEVON GALLERIES
- North & East of TAUNTON & HONITON
- Military and Industrial Tramways & Light Railways
- Pleasure Tramways & Light Railways
- RAILTOURS, AERIAL VIEWS ,MISCELLANEOUS
- CORNISH RAILWAYS WAR DIARY
- LOCAL YOUTUBE
- Historical Outdoor Events INDEX
- INDEX TO ARTICLES WRITTEN BY COLIN BURGES
- ARTICLES SECTION.
- ENGINEERING PLANT DIARY
- News reports Jan to Aug 2012
- MAPS, PHOTOS, AERIAL VIEWS
- Official Documents available to the General Public
- Public notices and posters collection