We are now entering the Wenfordbridge Branch, in the 1978 photograph, the branch gate is closed, it still has its southern pattern cast iron ‘shut the gate ‘ sign and is in good condition. The footpath mentioned in an earlier posting is clearly there.
The building to the left is the permanent way trolley house and it is possible this once contained the ‘Camel Trolley’ which if I remember correctly was used to give rides at the April 1970 open day, at Bodmin General, hopefully Roger could verify. It did!
This building is situated at the start of what was the original trackbed to Bodmin, (later Bodmin North), sandwiched between the Wenfordbridge branch and the later deviation.
It is still possible to follow, adjacent and above the Wenfordbridge branch. Unfortunately in recent years the owner has allowed the track bed to return to nature, but it is still discernable.
In use from 30th September 1834 until the 1st November 1886, it crossed the main road on a level crossing approx 20 yards above and east of Wenfordbridge branch level crossing.
Major restructuring took place starting on the 1st November 1886, involving the closure of Bodmin station and the construction of a new alignment. This required a substantial cutting to the east and a road bridge, which can be seen on the map supplied by Keith.
The new alignment was opened after a lengthy closure, on the 1st November 1895.
It was not until the 2nd July 1906 that Dunmere Halt was commissioned.
The Jan 2018 photograph shows that the gate is still there, closer examination reveals that a faithful replica has been built, although not quite the same height, giving the gate a wider appearance.
The footpath is still usable to the right of the gate, but is restricted to pedestrian use, take a bicycle at your peril!
In the latest photograph taken in Jan 2018, the rails have been lifted and the track bed is now a private road. The original buildings have been extended and vegetation has started to encroach.