at Illogan Level Crossing
At the time of the map (1908) Wheal Agar was on its last legs; it had seldom made much profit and before World War 1 it was amalgamated with East Pool mine. East Pool, in turn, suffered a catastrophic underground collapse in 1918 and had to suspend operations. They set to work on a new shaft (known as Taylors, after the mine captain) on a new site, near Wheal Agar , (whose engines survived, derelict until 1946). Taylor,s had no processing facilities, so they took over Agar's rights to use the tramway along the streets to the processing plant at Tolvaddon. Thus, although the streets of Pool no longer saw trams after 1927, there was the daily hazard of the mineral tram through the silent streets, accompanied by yells of 'tincar'.
The tram tracks were gradually removed (apart from this section) but the tincar ran until 1935. East Pool and Agar Limited cast the acronym EPAL on their ingots (and in white brick, as everybody knows who passes the site today). In 1935 East Pool opened an aerial ropeway across country to Tolvaddon, which carried their ore until the mine closed in 1945. Taylors engine worked on to keep South Crofty dry, until 1954.
The poles which carried the tramwires survived until the mid-1960s as lamp posts between Camborne and Redruth.