5X90 Stoke Gifford to Penzance:
5X92 Penzance to Stoke Gifford:
Kind Regards, Karl (Friends of Penmere Station). Many Thanks Karl
Hawkeridge was a World War Two creation. The box was opened to serve a new spur from Heywood Road Junction, enabling fast, heavy wartime trains to move from the Berks and Hants to the Trowbridge line avoiding the awkwardness of the old single line through Devizes. The box had two functions: control of the junction and acess to the large war department depot which lay to the top right of the diagram. This depot was sufficiently important to have facing-point access at either end (the Trowbridge end being motor points). The Trowbridge end connections were lifted soon after ww2, but the one across from the box was retained, spiked, on a 'just in case' basis until 1962, when it was lifted.
Hawkeridge box became a very quiet place after the war: from the 1950s onwards, the box was usually 'switched out' and only opened as required. The signalling record society classifies Hawkeridge as type 12 -one of the GWRs last designs. In Cornwall we had four of these: Penzance (1938) Baldhu (1938) Trerule (1938) and Newquay (1946).
In Roger's picture, the lever frame and other equipment can be seen dumped outside the box.
Roy Hart. Many thanks Roy