The forecast two days earlier was for a rotten Saturday, but, as Roger writes :- After a very wet night on Friday, the next day saw much sunshine in the South West so an idea came to me to ride once again the Class 57 from Par. Departing on the 08.39 service to St Austell one I had an hour to look around before catching the following service to Par arriving at 11.06. Not far behind was the empty stock comprising of the day carriages of the Night Riviera forming the 11.25 service Par to Exeter St David's. A very handy train as opportunities exist to photograph the railway installations from the rear carriage window, but with a word of warning "Mind your Head when looking out. A most comfortable train to ride on with two and one abreast setting, and a large following amongst the railway enthusiasts was witnessed on route and at Exeter. Many thanks Roger for capturing scenes never to be repeated - see picture 140802a.
140802a The 09.54 Pz-Paddington arrives St Austell behind 43163 advertising Plymouth. Copyright Roger Winnen' Note Massive scaffolding surrounds the vertical structures which will form the new footbridge. A view of the signalbox soon to be lost when the cross-track span is put in place, and also the old footbridge from which this is taken, and which forms part of the heritage scene at St Austell, is removed.
140802c Looking very smart 57604 Pendennis Castle hauls the 11.25 Par-Exeter St David's service. Copyright Roger Winnen Note - one wonders what conversation is taking place between the two rail staff on the right? Were they remembering the good old loco workings of the past or perhaps talking about the Commonwealth Games?
- October Home Page
- INDOOR & OUTDOOR MEETINGS PROGRAMME
- CORNWALL RAILWAY SOCIETY GENERAL INFORMATION CONTACTS & WEBMASTERS MEMBERSHIP FORM ETC.
- LATEST INPUT , NEWS & OLD PICTURES ETC.
- FEATURES, MAIN INDEX & OUTDOOR EVENTS REPORTS.
- CORNWALL GALLERIES
- DEVON GALLERIES
- North & East of TAUNTON & HONITON
- Military and Industrial Tramways & Light Railways
- Pleasure Tramways & Light Railways
- RAILTOURS, AERIAL VIEWS ,MISCELLANEOUS
- CORNISH RAILWAYS WAR DIARY
- LOCAL YOUTUBE
- Historical Outdoor Events INDEX
- INDEX TO ARTICLES WRITTEN BY COLIN BURGES
- ARTICLES SECTION.
- ENGINEERING PLANT DIARY
- News reports Jan to Aug 2012
- MAPS, PHOTOS, AERIAL VIEWS
- Official Documents available to the General Public
- Public notices and posters collection
- Swindon, Kemble and Gloucester