860611b 50014 'Warspite' at Penzance heading the 10.30 to Liverpool on 11th June, 1986 The Battleship 'Warspite' ended her days near by on route to the breakers yard she parted tow and went aground in 1947 in Prussia Cove, she was latterly moved near to St Michaels Mount, scrapping her carried on until the mid 1950s. Scrap from the Warspite was loaded into railway wagons on the Albert Pier, Penzance. Photographs of trains on the Albert Pier are rare indeed, any photographs would be welcomed for this website. Copyright Michael Forward
860611c 50044 'Exeter' arriving at Penzance with the 05.45 service from Barnstaple quite a journey. I wonder if anyone travelled the whole distance on this train! HMS Exeter was one of the Royal Naval Ships involved in The Battle of the River Plate against the German Pocket Battle Ship Graf Spee and sustained extensive damage. Copyright Michael Forward
860611e 47515 With the 09.33 to Newcastle. In the background is St Mary's Church severely damaged by a fire in March 1985 when The High Alter, reredos and the organ in the west gallery was destroyed. Members of St Mary's Church Penzance travelled on the Cornwall Railway Society 'Oxford Explorer Railtour on 27th May, 1985 to purchase an organ from the University Church at Oxford. Copyright Michael Forward
- January Home Page
- INDOOR & OUTDOOR MEETINGS PROGRAMME
- CORNWALL RAILWAY SOCIETY GENERAL INFORMATION CONTACTS & WEBMASTERS MEMBERSHIP FORM ETC.
- LATEST INPUT , NEWS & OLD PICTURES ETC.
- FEATURES, MAIN INDEX & OUTDOOR EVENTS REPORTS.
- CORNWALL GALLERIES
- DEVON GALLERIES
- North & East of TAUNTON & HONITON
- Military and Industrial Tramways & Light Railways
- Pleasure Tramways & Light Railways
- RAILTOURS, AERIAL VIEWS ,MISCELLANEOUS
- CORNISH RAILWAYS WAR DIARY
- LOCAL YOUTUBE
- Historical Outdoor Events INDEX
- INDEX TO ARTICLES WRITTEN BY COLIN BURGES
- ARTICLES SECTION.
- ENGINEERING PLANT DIARY
- News reports Jan to Aug 2012
- MAPS, PHOTOS, AERIAL VIEWS
- Official Documents available to the General Public
- Public notices and posters collection
- Bristol Parkway to Wooton Basset Jct.