Fifty years ago on Sunday 12 September 1965 the Southern Counties Touring Society ran a railtour called The Exeter Flyer Rail Tour (2 words as on the ticket) from London to North Devon and back. It ran from Waterloo to Exeter Central behind Merchant Navy 35022 “Holland America Line” and returned to Waterloo that evening behind the same loco. 35022 was shedded at Weymouth at the time; although earlier in its career it had spent long periods at Exmouth Junction Shed. The load was 8 coaches. From Exeter Central to Barnstaple Junction the train was hauled by BR Standard 2-6-4Ts 80039 and 80043. Both locos were shedded at Templecombe at the time and used on the S&D until that line was closed early the following year when they were both withdrawn. At Barnstaple Junction the train was divided into two rakes of 4 coaches each with its own 2-6-4 tank loco. 80039 went to Torrington and back. 80043 went to Ilfracombe and back. The railtour was repeated 3 weeks later with the same locos in charge. Many thanks Mike
- May Home Page
- INDOOR & OUTDOOR MEETINGS PROGRAMME
- CORNWALL RAILWAY SOCIETY GENERAL INFORMATION CONTACTS & WEBMASTERS MEMBERSHIP FORM ETC.
- LATEST INPUT , NEWS & OLD PICTURES ETC.
- FEATURES, MAIN INDEX & OUTDOOR EVENTS REPORTS.
- CORNWALL GALLERIES
- DEVON GALLERIES
- North & East of TAUNTON & HONITON
- Military and Industrial Tramways & Light Railways
- Pleasure Tramways & Light Railways
- RAILTOURS, AERIAL VIEWS ,MISCELLANEOUS
- CORNISH RAILWAYS WAR DIARY
- LOCAL YOUTUBE
- Historical Outdoor Events INDEX
- ARTICLES SECTION.
- ENGINEERING PLANT DIARY
- News reports Jan to Aug 2012
- MAPS, PHOTOS, AERIAL VIEWS
- CHRISTOW. E & T. Valley Railway - Articles by Colin Burges LATEST NEWS
- Official Documents available to the General Public
- Public notices and posters collection
- Bristol Parkway to Wooton Basset Jct.