Sometime ago now Mike Morant kindly passed on to us a collection of rare and wonderful pictures taken in the West Country for use on our site. There are many more of these to come. Our sincere thanks to Mike for making these superb pictures and his collection of rare labels available to us. So here we are - some cracking Capitol pictures of Cornwall's Capital!
5020 Trematon Castle makes a grand entrance heading for platform 4. Note the coaching stock in the sidings, and the houses on Dobbs Lane and Sunningdale which have a superb view over the station unimpeded by trees. Perhaps they suffered from smoke from the depot in easterly winds? From the Mike Morant Collection
A general view along the platforms from the west end looking east. The diesel age has certainly arrived with what are now called 'heritage sets' in platform 1, for Falmouth, and platform 3. The goods yard still looks to be busy and platform 4 in use. There is a board crossing to enable station staff to make a quick but somewhat hazardous crossing from platform 2 to the island which forms platform 3 & 4, From the Mike Morant Collection
Mike has very kindly sent an enlargement for his original slide showing shed 83F looking rather empty. Steam would appear to have finished although there are coal trucks alongside Truro West Signalbox which itself closed in 1971. A Class 22 63xx lurks by the water tower possibly on the metals which served the turntable. Truro Shed closed to steam in March 1962 and to diesel in November 1965. It changed from being 83F to become 84C in September 1963 From the Mike Morant Collection
- May Home Page
- INDOOR & OUTDOOR MEETINGS PROGRAMME
- CORNWALL RAILWAY SOCIETY GENERAL INFORMATION CONTACTS & WEBMASTERS MEMBERSHIP FORM ETC.
- LATEST INPUT , NEWS & OLD PICTURES ETC.
- FEATURES, MAIN INDEX & OUTDOOR EVENTS REPORTS.
- CORNWALL GALLERIES
- DEVON GALLERIES
- North & East of TAUNTON & HONITON
- Military and Industrial Tramways & Light Railways
- Pleasure Tramways & Light Railways
- RAILTOURS, AERIAL VIEWS ,MISCELLANEOUS
- CORNISH RAILWAYS WAR DIARY
- LOCAL YOUTUBE
- Historical Outdoor Events INDEX
- ARTICLES SECTION.
- ENGINEERING PLANT DIARY
- News reports Jan to Aug 2012
- MAPS, PHOTOS, AERIAL VIEWS
- CHRISTOW. E & T. Valley Railway - Articles by Colin Burges LATEST NEWS
- Official Documents available to the General Public
- Public notices and posters collection
- Bristol Parkway to Wooton Basset Jct.