A few days ago I asked if anybody had any pictures of the walk across the Royal Albert Bridge on 29th April 1984 organised by the Cornwall Railways Manager Rusty Eplett. It is with many thanks to Derek Buttivant that we have this record of this very rare event.
A puff of smoke as the two x 3 coach train starts to move to cross the Royal Albert Bridge, it will wait for the passengers at St Budeaux Ferry Road. Gathering on the down platform a crowd watches as the plaque commemorating this event is unveiled. Another group forms on the up platform ready for the signal to start the crossing. 29th August 1984. Copyright Derek Buttivant. N.B. This picture would now be impossible for several reasons one being that the footbridge from which is was taken no longer exists.
On this next picture we are already well onto the west most span and heading to the centre point. Doesn't the bridge seem narrow from this aspect? Can anybody confirm that at one time during WW2 that the laying of a 'linear level crossing' across the length of the bridge to make a roadway for road vehicles was contemplated? 29th April 1984 Copyright Derek Buttivant.
At the centre point, on the pier which supports the inner ends of the east and west spans stands a gathering of officials evidenced by their chains of office. However, the much respected Rusty Eplett, Manager of Cornwall Railways who organised this event stands to the fore smart in his suit wearing his Cornwall Railways tie. 29th April 1984 Copyright Derek Buttivant
As our train had gone on to stop at St Budeaux Ferry Road, we had hoped that perhaps the walk would continue on to the halt crossing over Bow String Bridge. However this was not to be, we were shepherded off BR property by means of the Royal Albert bridge signalbox access path. 29th April 1984 Copyright Derek Buttivant
If anybody else has photographs of this unique event we'd be pleased to show them. In the meantime many thanks to Derek Buttivant.
- LATEST INPUT , NEWS & OLD PICTURES ETC.
- INDOOR & OUTDOOR MEETINGS PROGRAMME
- Submit your photos and news
- CORNWALL RAILWAY SOCIETY GENERAL INFORMATION CONTACTS & WEBMASTERS MEMBERSHIP FORM ETC.
- Extracts from the diary of a lifetime enthusiast - Michael L. Roach
- FEATURES, MAIN INDEX & OUTDOOR EVENTS REPORTS.
- Features October to December 2023
- CORNWALL GALLERIES
- DEVON GALLERIES
- North & East of TAUNTON & HONITON
- Military and Industrial Tramways & Light Railways
- Pleasure Tramways & Light Railways
- RAILTOURS, AERIAL VIEWS ,MISCELLANEOUS
- Railtours 2022 to July 2023
- Railtours August 2023 onwards
- CORNISH RAILWAYS WAR DIARY
- LOCAL YOUTUBE
- Historical Outdoor Events INDEX
- INDEX TO ARTICLES WRITTEN BY COLIN BURGES
- ARTICLES SECTION.
- ENGINEERING PLANT DIARY
- News reports Jan to Aug 2012
- MAPS, PHOTOS, AERIAL VIEWS
- Official Documents available to the General Public
- Public notices and posters collection