Justin Edwards noticed the above picture on our site and asked if we knew any more about its history. Trevor, who took the photographs has kindly come up with this reply. :- I'm afraid I am struggling a bit on this one. I remember seeing the tender at Laira, probably on more than one occasion, but I don't know how long it would have been there. I think Mr Edwards will be right in his assumption of its purpose and clearly being painted red makes it part of Laira's breakdown train. However, over and above that, I'm sorry but I just don't know. I don't recall seeing a Collett 4000 gallon tender at Laira but there may well have been one. Back in September 1974 I photographed one at Old Oak (copy attached) could this have been a Laira one that ended up there I wonder? Although there were probably several lying around after the end of steam. Sorry I can't be of more help. Best wishes Trevor. Many thanks for that - below I've included your Old Oak Tender picture.
However, the fact that the top picture dates from 1973 and the lower one from 1974 raises a point as to whether it is the same article. The '74 picture seems to be of a tender which as not been re-painted since it came out of loco service. CAN ANYBODY HELP - on this tender subject!!
- INDOOR & OUTDOOR MEETINGS PROGRAMME
- CORNWALL RAILWAY SOCIETY GENERAL INFORMATION CONTACTS & WEBMASTERS MEMBERSHIP FORM ETC.
- LATEST INPUT , NEWS & OLD PICTURES ETC.
- FEATURES, MAIN INDEX & OUTDOOR EVENTS REPORTS.
- CORNWALL GALLERIES
- DEVON GALLERIES
- North & East of TAUNTON & HONITON
- Military and Industrial Tramways & Light Railways
- Pleasure Tramways & Light Railways
- RAILTOURS, AERIAL VIEWS ,MISCELLANEOUS
- CORNISH RAILWAYS WAR DIARY
- LOCAL YOUTUBE
- Historical Outdoor Events INDEX
- INDEX TO ARTICLES WRITTEN BY COLIN BURGES
- ARTICLES SECTION.
- ENGINEERING PLANT DIARY
- News reports Jan to Aug 2012
- MAPS, PHOTOS, AERIAL VIEWS
- Official Documents available to the General Public
- Public notices and posters collection
- Bristol Parkway to Wooton Basset Jct.