My first visit since opening of the new station at Marsh Barton, Exeter earlier this week.
Puts us right
Firstly apologies if someone else has been preparing or prepared Wickwar Signal Box information!
I thought I could add this to Driver Alan Peter’s report from 5th July, although I have not view the video link.
The ‘signal box’ here is in fact a private house garden gazebo, made to an excellent Midland Box replica standard.
Of the three submitted views all taken on 13th April 1998;
- 43197 ‘The Railway Magazine Centenary 1897-1997’ leaves the 1,401 yard Wickwar Tunnel with 1E36 1300 Plymouth – Newcastle Virgin XC service (copy right Richard Giles).
- A close up view (now no longer possible due to access as a private company now operates from this area) of the workmanship on the structure (copy right Richard Giles).
- A view north bound towards Charfield showing the much missed, now 21 years ago Virgin XC loco hauled trains with 47822 leading the 1V48 1117 Manchester Piccadilly – Bristol Temple Meads service. The ‘proper’ Midland design signal box, closed in November 1965 was located behind the loco and the former station site was close to the end of the train. The small goods yard was along the right hand site (copy right Richard Giles).
It is interesting to record the house with the unusual gazebo has come on the market for sale at least once during I think the early 2000 from memory and was priced in access of £500,000. I would suggest a possible gazebo building date was circular 1997-1998.
I also recently had a South Wales based DBS driver who had been working freight diversions tell be about the structure and how he had never seen it before but had been ‘occasionally’ working the line for around 10 years!
Hope of interest and use
Richard Giles, Clevedon. North Somerset.
Par & St Blazey
Sorry I am a little late putting it on site.
- The 1206 pulls into Platform 1 at Par, with the 1203 Newquay to Paddington exiting the station in the background. the reflecting sunlight gives the Hitachi unit a hint of the old 'fag packet' livery on the HST's from 20 years ago.
- The signal is off for the 1206, as a Sprinter comes off chapel siding to work the 1213 Newquay, saying goodbye to a classmate behind.
- The Sprinter snakes round the back of the signal box into platform 3.
- Always a fine sight, PR 5 with PR 9 in the background.
Keep up the great work with the website, bye for now,
plus 66525 on 4L36 Wentloog to Felixstowe.
Regards Colin Pidgeon