for Castle HSTs
Michael L. Roach
The London and South Western Railway built 66 of the T9 class between 1899 and 1901, some at their Nine Elms Works in London. The remainder were built by Dubs and Co. of Glasgow. The LSWR works at Eastleigh did not start building engines until 1910. The T9s had a reputation of being fast and reliable and the last of the class was not withdrawn until 1963, a testimony to their usefulness but latterly relegated to lighter secondary work. The class was designed by Dugald Drummond who died in 1912 and his successor Robert Urie carried out several improvements to the class to enhance the performance. The class remained intact at nationalisation in 1948 with the first one being withdrawn in 1951. The tractive effort of 17,670 may be compared to that of the GWR 4-4-0 no. 16 Brunel described in Part 44 of this series.
Four of the T9 class appear in the photographs that follow from July 1959 which was the start of a great summer for weather: 30702/11/17/26. 30711 and 30726 were withdrawn the following month and 30702 in October 1959 leaving just 30717 to soldier on for a further two years until July 1961. A total of ten of the class were withdrawn in 1959 triggered by an influx of Bulleid Light Pacifics to the “Withered Arm” displaced from Kent as a result of the completion of the first phase of the Kent Coast Electrification Project.
Only one member of the class was to be preserved and that was 30120 one of the first batch of ten built in 1899 at the LSWR's own works at Nine Elms, London.
MLR / 25 November 2023