Michael Forward & Roger Winnen
The 80 yard tunnel was opened in November 1849 and ceased to be used on closure of the tramway in 1926. According to the records of the late Mr. C.R. Clinker who reports that coal and clay traffic last carried in 1921, only fish being carried until closure. The track through the town being removed in 1928.
The tramways route through the town remains as part of the SW Coast path and can be traced from just opposite the railway station westwards through a cutting - the pathway has been attractively paved with bricks and a representation of the tramway tracks is provided by different colour bricks. This section passes under a bridge which carries the appropriately named 'Bridge road' over the route.
Further pictures of the incline and winding house are available at the very end of our Par to Newquay coverage.