Network Rail Measurment train
Guy Vincent, Mark Lynam, and Jon Hird.
Regards, Guy Vincent.
1) 43155 at the west end of Temple Meads station but today bringing up the rear of the 2C37 0835 BTM-Penzance, diverted via Westbury and Somerton due to engineering works between Bedminster and Worle. Next stop Taunton.
2) Plymouth station. 43153 heading 2C37 0835 Bristol Temple Meads - Penzance.
3) Liskeard. 43153 about to make a right time departure with the 2C37 1212 Penzance stopping service.
4) Liskeard station, signals and signal box looking towards Menheniot.
5) Liskeard Signal Box. In excellent order but lacking any form of external identification.
The journey from Liskeard to Bridgwater with the Castle class HST working 2M20 1050 Penzance - Weston super Mare on 20th September.
6) 43154 arriving at Liskeard on 2M20 1050 Penzance - Weston super Mare (terminating due to engineering works between Worle Jcn and Bedminster) 20.09.2023
7) 43092 at the rear of 2M20, during station dwell time at Exeter St Davids.
8) 43154 departing from Bridgwater for Weston super Mare.
9) A final view of the departing train as it clears Bridgwater.
10) Bridgwater freight yard with the Nuclear Flask loading gantry and compound (left).
(To St Austell)
I had the rare privilege of a day trip from Axminster to St Austell yesterday (22nd September 2023) . My excitement mounted when RTT showed that the Exeter train (10.25 EXD to PNZ) should be a Castle set! Indeed it was and I had the best seat in the house - forward facing at one of the tables giving a panoramic view, just as they were designed all those decades ago.
The photographs show:
1. Running in board at Axminster, advertising the Jurassic Coast close by at Seaton.
2. One of the colourful tubs on Axminster Station.
3. 159019 arrives at Axminster from Waterloo forming the 0903 Axminster to Exeter St David's. This six coach train was nicely full of students by the time we got to Exeter Central where they all decamped to nearby Exeter College.
4. 159019 upon arrival at Exeter St Davids.
5. 150239 arrives from Okehampton. Note the piles of new wooden chaired bullhead rail sleepers for the platform road nearest the camera.
6. 150139 departs to Exeter Central where it will form the next service to Okehampton.
7 and 8. A Castle set arrives ECS at the far platform. 43153 Clun Castle at the front and 43155 Rougement Castle at the Rear.
9. "Snake" set 107 arrives for Penzance. Note the gentleman who stands at the centre of the level crossing to ensure no pedestrians try to cross with trains coming!
10. View of Saltash Station and the famous public house from my seat.
11 to 13. Upon arrival at St Austell - 43188 Newport Castle, "The Welshman," commemorating Geraint Thomas's win in the Tour De France in 2018, with 43186 Taunton Castle on the rear.
One final nugget from the journey. The Train Manager announced when nearing Plymouth "This train continues to Penzance and …(pause)... lots more stations!" Was her Cornish pronunciation not up to scratch perhaps?
PS I didn't take the train home as I travelled to collect my classic car from a Grampound specialist after repair.