Lelant Saltings Park & Ride
The gent in the centre (wearing frock coat) is the stationmaster. Drinnick Mill had a stationmaster until the 1950s.
Until 1966, there was a goods office and a signal box.
Trains operated both north and south out of Drinnick until 1911, when the ' Carpella break' occurred. The GWR were in dispute with the local clay company about mineral rights beneath the railway. The high court found for the clay company, so the line was severed south of Drinnick for 12 years or so. During this time, new signal boxes were opened at Parkandillack and Kernick because the bulk of the clay was going north to St Dennis.
The engine looks like an 850 class: it will have been shedded at St Blazey. There was an engine shed at Burngullow until about 1906.
We are, of course, in the pre- clay hood era; china clay was normally transported in barrels at this time.
Roy Many thanks Roy