The engine shed was very cramped (it closed when Long Rock opened in 1914) and the turntable (the engine centre-right is on it) could take nothing larger than the 4-4-0s we see here. Off to the right is the coal stage.
On the extreme left the signal box can be glimpsed. This is the original, dating from the 1870s, built by McKenzie and Holland, contractors to the GWR. It was replaced by a new box of timber construction in 1912 (Ponsandane and Long Rock boxes opened at the same time). Today's Penzance box (1938) stands on the site of this engine shed.
We are most grateful to Roy Hart who responded within minutes of the publication of the above photograph with the details above.
From the start of June 2019, St Erth will become the new Park & Ride location for St Ives. The existing Park & Ride at Lelant Saltings will be closed. Improvements to St Erth station include:
- larger ticket office and waiting area
- improved accessibility
- a new 422-space car park to the south of the station
- relocation of bus stops from the main road to the station forecourt
- improved cycle facilities
The bonus is that all trains both to and from St Ives will now call at Carbis Bay.