Stoke Canon and Exminster
Keith Turley & David Tozer
The River Exe
Colin Pidgeon - via Ken Mumford
Onslow box opened òn 31st January 1931 to serve the Bowaters clay worķs there. The layout consisted of a long loop siding and a second, gated loop for the works. The box was normally switched out throughout its life, only opening for siding traffic on one or two days a week for a couple of hours.
Two historical features of the place: Onslow was the first complete installation of tubular steel signals on the GWR (they had wooden arms though) and secondly, Onslow lay at the foot of the long descent from Doublebois, so the down distant signal had to be a long way out. At 1920 yards it was the longest 'pull' in Cornwall.
The bos was of what the SRS calls 'type 28B'. It arrived 'flatpack' style and was erected in a day. The box closed on 10th November 1968.