Loram rail grinder at Okehampton.
By David Ellis.
Many thanks, David.
South Devon Railway
Please find attached pictures of the New Measurement Train at Chard Junction today. Many thanks to Guy Vincent for giving a "heads up" about busy times on the old LSWR line. It takes me back to the 80s when they relined Whiteball Tunnel and we had cement, bitumen and ballast rumbling up the Axe valley. Not so much freight these days but it looks promising.
They cancelled the Class 66 gauging loco today but the NMT made a bright show in the Winter sunshine.
With kind regards, Brian Many thanks indeed Brian
We would dearly like to see and share any photographs taken of the amazing South Devon Railtour of 39 years ago.
[Timings copied from the Six Bells Junction Railtour Files (1980)]
Branch Line Society South Devon Rail Tour
DMUs UsedC596 (51099+59416+51076) & B812 (51462+59530+51530)Route :
51462+59530+?????Bristol Temple Meads – Philips Marsh – Worle Jn - (8) - Uphill Jn – Taunton Goods line – Exeter St Davids – Exeter Railway Jn (Down Main)
51462+59530+?????Exeter Railway Jn (Down Main) - Up Main
51462+59530+?????Exeter Railway Jn (Up Main) – Marsh Barton Trading Estate (almost end of line, before A379 road bridge)
51462+59530+?????Marsh Barton Trading Estate – Exeter St Thomas / Exeter Railway Jn (1)
51462+59530+?????Exeter St Thomas / Exeter Railway Jn - City Basin Jn
51462+59530+?????City Basin Jn - Exeter City Basin (Texaco Sidings Branch, almost to last level crossing, by Maritime Museum)
51462+59530+?????Exeter City Basin – Newton Abbot – Heathfield Gulf Oil Sidings – Newton Abbot (2)
47134Newton Abbot – Plymouth North Road (3)
51099+59416+51076Plymouth North Road – Lipson Jn - Turnchapel Branch Jn (9)
51099+59416+51076Turnchapel Branch Jn - Cattewater Branch (to MP 1¼ Cromwell Road LC)
51099+59416+51076Cattewater Branch (MP 1¼ Cromwell Road LC) - Turnchapel Branch Jn - Plymouth Friary
51099+59416+51076Plymouth Friary - Mount Gould Jn - Speedway Jn - Laira Jn (4)
51099+59416+51076(5) Laira Jn - Speedway Jn - Mount Gould Jn (5)
51099+59416+51076Mount Gould Jn - Lipson Jn - Plymouth North Road - Keyham West GF
51099+59416+51076Keyham West GF - Drake's Platform - RN Devonport Dockyard (just short of exchange sidings)
51099+59416+51076RN Devonport Dockyard - Drake's Platform - Keyham West GF - St Budeaux Jn
51099+59416+51076St Budeaux Jn - RN Bull Point
51099+59416+51076RN Bull Point - St Budeaux - Royal Albert Bridge - Saltash
51099+59416+51076Saltash - Royal Albert Bridge - St Budeaux - Plymouth North Road - Newton Abbot (6) - Exeter St Davids - Taunton - Uphill Jn - (8) - Worle Jn - Bristol Temple MeadsNotes :
(1) It was hoped the train could use the direct chord from Marsh Barton to City Basin but, not surprisingly, didn’t.
(2) Unit declared a failure (broken sidespring). 47134 & 13 coaches commandeered off 13:45 local to Paignton.
(3) The tour was scheduled to run from Laira Jn direct to Friary from Newton Abbot. (see also note 4 below). Train ran direct to Plymouth because of the need to change trains.
(4) Shunter not available to allow the train to reverse at Laira Jn to run onto the main line back to Plymouth. The original route from Mount Gould Jn to Laira Jn had been severed not long before the date of the tour at the Laira Jn end to form dead end sidings for carriage stabling accessed from the Mount Gould Jn end of the Laira depot layout so was no longer available for the tour, necessitating use of the upgraded single line to the west of the depot known locally as the speedway.
(5) Extra move in partial compensation for earlier diversion, (see note 3).
(6) Stopped outside Newton Abbot on return to attend to a door not properly closed.
(7) Timings shown are the 'Booked' timings with mileages being the 'actual mileages'. A loose insert with the ticket letter said "....slight timing adjustments from Taunton to the Exeter area, .... now leave Exeter St Davids at 11.49..."
(8) Via the Weston-super-Mare avoiding line.
(9) Booked reversal point was Plymouth Friary.