Michael L. Roach.
Lord Morley's Bridge spanned the mainline near Tavistock Junction and carried the carriage drive to Saltram House over the line. It was probably constructed in 1847 when the South Devon Railway was advancing rapidly to its temporary terminus at Laira Green close to the location of the later Laira Steam Shed. Saltram House had two carriage drives. One headed south east to a minor road and the other one headed north to meet the Plymouth to Plympton Road at Long Bridge close to Marsh Mills Station. The northern one was badly affected by the construction of the Plympton Bypass and was truncated rendering Lord Morley's Bridge redundant. The bridge was removed which was a great shame as it was a very ornate bridge. The bridge gave good views of the railway line in both directions, including a panoramic view of the Tavistock Junction marshalling Yards on both sides of the line. These did not exist when the line was built and the junction signal box was directly below the bridge.
MLR / 1 February 2023