Some notes from Chris Osment (Railwest) There were three boxes here over the years. The first box was at the west end of the loop, on the Up side, nor far off being opposite the final (third) box. This box was in use by sometime in 1880. The second box was at the east end, on the down side, and presumably therefore is the one seen in the ‘Sunday School’ picture. This box was reported to the Board of Trade as ‘interlocking completed’ in 1894, so one may assume that the change from 1st to 2nd box occurred circa-1894. The third box was at the west end on the Down side, and is the one that survived until BR days. It was opened on 20th Dec 1914 (on which date the 2nd box closed) and was closed on 11th Dec 1955 (apparently being replaced by a GF for about 9 years thereafter).
A train waits at the down platform. The large building on the right hand side in the distance is Redruth Wesley. The footbridge was taken away for shot blasting and repainting a number of years ago and returned looking like new, The up platform buildings have been replaced however the down side building remains in use having been refurbished with the centre section being made open to the platform. Note that about ten men stand smiling for the camera whereas a lady stands discretely by the station building though not unwilling to be included in the picture. The gentleman, nearest on the up platform, is extremely tall. Copyright the Paddy Bradley Collection. The Methodist Church to the right is dated 1826 and was therefore there before the tunnel which was opened together with the line to Truro Road on the 25th August 1852. The tunnel must have been constructed by the 'cut and cover' method as the top of the tunnel arch is very close to the surface of the main street above,
Redruth station dominated, from this angle (The picture being taken from over the tunnel) by Redruth's mountain - Carn Brea Hill. Redruth's third signalbox can be seen behind the footbidge at the east end of the down platform. Note the old bus waiting outside the station and further away the still familiar facade of the Mining Exchange and Post Office buildings. The signalman has not had time to clear the home signal seen out on the viaduct. Copyright the Paddy Bradley Collection
Another interesting view of Redruth station with the down goods yard around the back of the station. Note the very short platforms. With a 'crowbar' on his shoulder the nearest gentleman looks like he's off to work somewhere - note the chain across his waistcoat - he would appear to have some time keeping function. The Paddy Bradley Collection.
A most interesting picture at Redruth of a very crowded down platform as we're off to St Ives, probably changing at St Erth. However note the up starter signal and the crossover within the 47 yard tunnel. Redruth to Drump Lane was not doubled until 17th December 1911- the later down main seen in this picture being used as a siding at the time. Whether the collection of mainly young boys on the up platform were going on an up service or whether they had run over the footbridge to ensure they were in the pictures is, of course, not known. The 'banner' caption reads 'Redruth Wesley Sunday School Tea Treat 20th July 1905.Copyright the Paddy Bradley Collection.
- August Home Page
- INDOOR MEETINGS PROGRAMME
- OUTDOOR EVENTS
- HEADLINES - LATEST REPORTS and PHOTOGRAPHS
- FEATURES, MAIN INDEX & OUTDOOR EVENTS REPORTS.
- CORNWALL GALLERIES
- DEVON GALLERIES
- North & East of TAUNTON & HONITON
- Military and Industrial Tramways & Light Railways
- Pleasure Tramways & Light Railways
- RAILTOURS, AERIAL VIEWS ,MISCELLANEOUS
- CORNISH RAILWAYS WAR DIARY
- LOCAL YOUTUBE
- Historical - outdoor events Part 1 to 2009
- Historical - outdoor events Part 2 from 2010
- ARTICLES SECTION.
- ENGINEERING PLANT DIARY
- News reports Jan to Aug 2012
- Cornwall Railway Society - General Information
- MAPS, PHOTOS, AERIAL VIEWS
- Ex & Teign Valley Railway Report
- Yeovil Railway Centre History