The Exe Valley Line.
Stoke Canon to Dulverton via Tiverton
Stoke Canon to Dulverton via Tiverton
Credits, Many thanks to all contributors - please see a list on the home page.
Exeter St Davids Was the starting point for trains to Dulverton.
If only one could travel these lines nowadays - still you can courtesy of this web site' You will note that Stoke Canon no longer appears - it was closed on the 13th June 1960 no doubt to discourage traffic. Stoke Canon served a far bigger populace than nearby Silveron which stayed open until 5th October 1964. Courtesy of the Barry Hilton collection.
Stoke Canon This was a new station opened on 1st May 1885 in order to permit an interchange from the main Bristol and Exeter line and the branch. The original Stoke Canon station had been north of the branch junction. It closed on the 13th June 1960.
Bamford Speke Halt 18Ml 44Ch from Morebath Jct
Bamford Speke - the single platform was on the west of the line and opened with the line in 1885. Although it once boasted a signalbox this closed in 1907. It was closed twice during world war 1 and staffing ceased in 1923 when it bacame a halt. The station building became a house and the former station masters house became a private dwelling. This picture in 1963 by Sid Sponheimer Copyright.
Thorverton 16Ml 52 Ch
This marvellous view captured by Mike Roach in September 1963 is a well known one which also features in Peter Gray's publications - who took their picture first is not known but what a wonderful location. A Fruit 'D' stands in the yard. Also note the two grain wagons standing on the spur to Thorverton Mill. Copyright Mike Roach.
Wilkipedia - Thorverton station was located at the far end of Silver Street. The wooden signpost at the road junction still notates the location as 'Station'. Following the closure of the Exe valley to passengers 7th October 1963 The short spur to Thorverton Mill remained open until 4th May 1964. The old station was converted into a private home knowingly named "Beeching's Way". The line crossed Silver Street on a bridge, now removed, although the bridge abutments have been removed the embankments are clearly visible on either side of the road.
Up Exe Halt
Burn Halt 13Ml 75Ch
Cadeleigh 12Ml 45Ch
This station opened on 1 May 1885 to serve the villages of Cadeleigh and Bickleigh and was therefore known as 'Cadeleigh and Bickleigh' until 1 May 1906 when it was changed to just 'Cadeleigh'. As a passing place it had two platforms and also a busy goods yard. After the railway was closed it was used first by the county council, then in 1997 it was sold and is houses the Devon Railway Centre. A highly recommended collection of narrow and standard gauge railway items. There are two passenger carrying narrow gauge railways.
Looking back from a train heading for Tiverton and beyond. The goods shed on the right now forms an engine shed for the railway centre. This train will soon cross over the river Exe on a substantial bridge. Maybe, one hopes, that before long Devon Railway centre trains will head this way towards Tiverton. This picture 1963 Copyright Sid Sponheimer.
West Exe 9Ml 23Ch
A photograph taken by Sid Sponheimer in 1963. No doubt the youngsters find that having their picture taken is a bit of a laugh! Seriously though, one can clearly see where the platform was almost doubled in length in May 1937. The station halt which opened in 1928 was much patronised by workers from Heathcoat's Mill. Copyright.
'Take Courage' the poster says, not needed if you travel by train! Our train has left a collection of adult passengers on the platfom as it heads for Tiverton. The halt was unstaffed usually but on occasions a porter was sent from Tiverton to sell and collect tickets. The hut must have been his office. 1963 Copyright Sid Sponheimer.
Tiverton 8Ml 54Ch
If only a picture could talk! Well this one almost does, the loco crew are obviously in discussion as are the porters by the platform trolley. Note that there are three 1400's in the picture - the two on the left on the services to and from Dulverton and the third one on the right looking after the service to Tiverton Junction. From the David Tozer Collection. Copyright
Tiverton 1442 at Tiverton Known affectionately as The Tivvy Bumper, 1442 hauled the last train to Tiverton in October 1965. Seen here in the very early days of preservation before it was surrounded by a sunstantial metal fence and long before its removal to the cover of the museum. Copyright Sid Sponheimer
One of the most popular exhibits in Tiverton Museum is the Great Western Railway steam locomotive number 1442 of the 1400 Class, known as the "Tivvy Bumper". The locomotive was in operation between 1934 and 1965, with its latter years spent transporting passengers between Tiverton and the old Tiverton Junction station at Willand; the engine serving this route was known by locals as the "Tivvy Bumper". The locomotive on display was originally located outside on Blundell's Road in Tiverton, having been purchased by Lord Amory in 1965, but it was moved to the museum in 1978 to protect it from the weather.It is now housed in the Authers Gallery, which was constructed around the engine.This gallery features other exhibits related to road and rail transport in Mid Devon, including bicycles, and signalling equipment. Museum visitors can stand inside the locomotive's cab.
A very interesting ticket offering a choice of routes via the main line (Cullompton) or the Exe Valley (Thorverton). This ticket cost 3 shillings and 3 pence (16p) was issued on 05 JAN 63 during a trip from Plymouth to Exeter (via Okehampton). On via Cullompton to Tiverton Junction, Hemyock, Tiverton Junction, Tiverton, Exeter, Okehampton to Plymouth. 4574 was seen at Lydford on the Lifton goods train. Mike Roach Ticket Collection
Bolham Halt 6Ml 58Ch
Cove Halt 3Ml 45Ch
Cove. The crossing keepers cottage and signal cabin have survived to form a very attractive residence complete with the level crossing keepers box. The box controlled the crossing and access to a siding off the main track to the right of this location. This picture dated 26th June 1976 Copyright Roger Winnen
Bampton (Devon) 1Ml 49Ch
Bampton station in diesel days - the class 22 is running round its train in readiness for its return to Exeter. From the amount of interest you'll guess that this is the last day of operation in 1963. Beyond lies the goods shed, the lines to the left of this once served a quarry. sidings even further left behind the station served a loading dock. Copyright Sid Sponheimer
Morebath Jct and Halt.
The double line to the right is the Exe Valley line - this closed 7th October 1963. the line ahead is to Norton Fitzwarren & Taunton. The loop here was lengthened in 1937 but later closed, along with the signalbox on 29th April 64. The single line left was closed 3rd October 1966. Trains from the Exe Valley line ran on to Dulverton. (See the Barnstaple - Taunton section) Copyright Sid Sponheimer
Exe Valley trains usually terminated at Dulverton - for this station and others see the Taunton to Barnstaple Section