Fifty years ago today the last Society organised steam-hauled railtour left Paddington before the end of steam. The date was Saturday 20 November 1965, and the trip was organised by The Locomotive Club of Great Britain. The tour went to Worcester (Shrub Hill) via the Cotswold Line and returned to Paddington via Gloucester and Swindon. Motive power was 4079 "Pendennis Castle" One week later on Saturday 27 November the very last steam-hauled special train left Paddington behind 7029 "Clun Castle" This was organised by the Western Region itself and went to Cheltenham (St. James) outwards via Bristol, returning via Stroud. However Clun Castle only hauled the Special over part of the route; and the remainder of the tour was behind diesels D1006 and D6881/2. The last ordinary scheduled steam departure from Paddington had occurred on Friday 11 June 1965 on the 16.15 train to Banbury.
- August Home Page
- INDOOR MEETINGS PROGRAMME
- OUTDOOR EVENTS
- HEADLINES - LATEST REPORTS and PHOTOGRAPHS
- FEATURES, MAIN INDEX & OUTDOOR EVENTS REPORTS.
- CORNWALL GALLERIES
- DEVON GALLERIES
- North & East of TAUNTON & HONITON
- Military and Industrial Tramways & Light Railways
- Pleasure Tramways & Light Railways
- RAILTOURS, AERIAL VIEWS ,MISCELLANEOUS
- CORNISH RAILWAYS WAR DIARY
- LOCAL YOUTUBE
- Historical - outdoor events Part 1 to 2009
- Historical - outdoor events Part 2 from 2010
- ARTICLES SECTION.
- ENGINEERING PLANT DIARY
- News reports Jan to Aug 2012
- Cornwall Railway Society - General Information
- MAPS, PHOTOS, AERIAL VIEWS
- Ex & Teign Valley Railway Report
- Yeovil Railway Centre History